3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- red and green M&M's or red and green gumdrops or melted white chocolate chips or other Christmas candies or candy sprinkles
- 1For Brownies: In a saucepan, bring the sugar, butter and water to a boil over medium heat; remove from the heat.
- 2Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and vanilla; stir until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Combine flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- 5Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 325°F for 35 minutes or until set.
- 6Cool completely. Place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes (do not freeze completely). Cut into squares.
- 7For Coating: In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt remaining chips with shortening; stir until smooth.
- 8Using a small plastic fork with two middle tines broken off, dip brownies to completely coat; shake off excess.
- 9Place brownies on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; immediately decorate with M&M's or other toppings as desired or drizzle with melted baking chips.
- 10Let stand until set. Store in a sealed container in a cool place.