Friday, June 22, 2012

Gluten Free Raisin Pecan Morning Roll Recipe!

  • dough
  • 220 grams AP GF flour (110 g superfine brown rice flour, 55 g each superfine white rice flour and tapioca flour) (about 1 3/4 cup)
  • 4 tablespoons Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch (see post for link)
  • 8 tablespoons sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat milk powder plus 1 teaspoon more
  • 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon pectin
  • 2 tablespoons instant or bread machine Red Star or Saf yeast
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
  • 8 tablespoons whole milk (not non fat)
  • 1 whole x-large egg plus one x-large egg yolk
  • 100 grams Pellegrino (1/2 cup)
  • 1 x-large egg for brushing the dough before baking
  • Filling
  • 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 70 grams brown sugar (1/3 cup)
  • 50 grams toasted and chopped pecans or any nut (1/2 cup)
  • 90 grams raisins or other dried fruit (1/2 cup)
  • Icing
  • 215 grams powdered sugar (2 cups)
  • 2-3 tablespoons hot water
  1. Mix flours, Expandex, sugar, xanthan gum, salt, 2 tablespoons milk powder, guar gum, pectin and yeast together in a large bowl. Whisk well to combine. Mix milk, egg and yolk together with one teaspoon of powdered milk.
  2. Drop the soft butter into the dry mixture and using a fork mash it around to incorporate it. Large chucks of butter/flour mixture are fine. Pour in the Pellegrino and stir. Pour in the milk egg mixture and mix with a fork until well combined. Using a silicone spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn the dough scraping up the bottom. If you’re using the dough the same day, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in a draft free place for an hour or two until it just about doubles. Once the dough doubles in size, place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour and two is better. If you plan to wait until the next day to make the rolls, you can just refrigerate the dough in the covered bowl right after mixing it and not worry about the initial room temperature rise – leave it to rise overnight in the refrigerator)
  3. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Remove dough from the bowl onto a lightly floured silpat or parchment surface. Knead a few turns using floured hands. The dough will be ragged and sticky yet. Flour the surface under the dough again and shape dough into a rectangle. Flour the surface of the dough lightly. Cover with plastic wrap and press and roll until it is about 12×8. Fold dough in thirds like a letter and turn so the fold faces you. Roll again the same way. Fold. Turn and repeat 2 more times.
  4. Roll the dough into a rectangle making sure the surface under it is lightly dusted with flour. The top should not stick to the plastic wrap – use another light dusting of flour as needed. Roll to a 14×8 inch rectangle. Remove the plastic wrap and brush off the flour from the surface of the dough.
  5. Brush the melted butter over the rectangle if using. Mix remaining filling ingredients together and sprinkle over the buttered rectangle leaving a small margin on the edges. Place the plastic wrap over the filling and give it a light roll just to make sure the filling adheres but don’t press very hard at all. Remove plastic wrap. Fold in the edges. Roll the rectangle like a jelly roll. Place seam side down. Make sure the roll is snug. It should look like a log. Using a bench scraper or a pastry cutter or a very sharp knife cut at 1.5 inch intervals. Place each piece cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap loosely and let the dough rest and rise slightly, about 45 minutes to an hour. The dough will not double but it will look slightly puffy.
  6. Preheat oven to 350. Whisk the egg and brush each morning roll with egg wash. Bake about 20 minutes and rotate. Bake about 12-15 minutes more or just until the filling starts to look bubbly and the dough is golden brown. Cool for about 10 minutes on the baking sheet and move to a rack to finish cooling.
  7. Mix powdered sugar and hot water to form a drizzly icing. Use a piping bag or fork, drizzle the icing over the mostly cooled morning rolls. Let the icing set for a few minutes. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment