Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Bourbon Peaches and Cream Popsicle Recipe!
Makes 18-22 popsicles
· 1 cup ripe peaches, crushed
· ¼ cup bourbon
· ½ cup simple syrup, cooled (recipe follows)
· 2 cups plain yogurt
1. Peel and slice peaches. Use a potato masher to crush the peaches. Combine crushed peaches and bourbon in a bowl, mix to combine. Add the simple syrup in slowly and taste to preference. Add yogurt to bourbon peach mixture and combine.
2. Score top edge of Dixie cup with scissors for easy peeling. Pour mixture into Dixie cups. Freeze for two hours or until mixture starts to solidify enough to hold a popsicle stick upright. Continue to freeze until mixture is completely frozen into a popsicle, about 5-6 hours. Peel off Dixie cups. Serve.
· ¼ cup water
· ¼ sugar
1. Place water and sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat. Heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
A few notes:
· Use the simple syrup sparingly. Taste the mixture as you mix to make sure it’s to your liking. Use more for a sweeter tasting popsicle and less for a popsicle that will have a stronger bourbon flavor.
· If you do not have ripe peaches on hand, use canned peaches in light syrup (make sure to drain before use). If you use canned peaches, bypass the simple syrup.
· To shave some time, use vanilla yogurt instead of plain yogurt to skip the simple syrup portion. Keep in mind this version will be much sweeter as vanilla flavored yogurt is sweetened. If you are using this in combination with canned peaches, rinse the peaches and add 2-3 tablespoons bourbon in addition to the ¼ cup in the recipe. The added tablespoons will offset any sweetness that may overpower the bourbon.
· Of course you can omit the bourbon completely for a simple Peaches and Cream Popsicle.