PUMPKIN SPICE CUPCAKESAdapted from Williams Sonoma
Makes: 24 cupcakes
· 3 ½ All purpose flour (can substitute gluten free flour)
· 2 ¾ teaspoon baking powder
· ¾ teaspoon baking soda
· (3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum if making gluten free)
· 2 ¼ teaspoon salt
· 5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
· ½ teaspoon mace
· 14 tablespoons butter, softened
· 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
· 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
· 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
· 4 eggs, room temperature
· 1 cup milk
· 1 2/3 cups pumpkin puree
1. Grease and flour cupcake tins or place cupcake liners in pan(s). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, (xanthan gum if making gluten free), salt, spices. Stir to mix fully.
3. With an electric mixer beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Add brown sugars and granulated sugar; beat until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Scrape sides when needed. Add eggs one at a time and beat to incorporate before adding another egg.
4. Add 1/4 of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat on low speed to incorporate. Add 1/3 cup of the milk, beat to incorporate. Repeat twice more, ending with the flour. Do not over beat.
5. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until incorporated.
6. Spoon batter into cupcake tins; fill 2/3’s full. Bake 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
7. When done, remove from oven, let cool in pan 15 minutes and remove to baking rack to complete cooling. NOTE: If using glaze it works best on warm cupcakes (see below for more details).
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Adapted from Willams Sonoma
· 8 ounces soft cream cheese
· 8 tablespoons butter, softened
· 1 cup powdered sugar
· ½ teaspoon vanilla
· Food coloring if desired (I use India Tree Dyes which are all organic)
1. Beat the cream cheese until softened. Add the butter and beat to incorporate.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes when cool.
BOURBON ORANGE GLAZE
· 1 cup powdered sugar
· 1 tablespoon bourbon
· 2 tablespoon quality orange juice
In a mixing bowl hand whisk all ingredients together to combine.
To glaze cupcakes: To best glaze do so when cupcakes are still warm (not hot out of the oven). Using a spoon, spread the glaze across the top of the cupcake. Allow it to harden. Glaze a second time if you like!